Tuesday 4 January 2011

Happy new Year

As the New Year kicks off I decided to start it by attempting to keep up with one of my resolutions which keeps getting put off year after year. The resolution to start writing again and more importantly keep at it. Somehow other things have always taken precedence and this passion has been put on the back burner. I heard about a great way to keep up with your resolutions. Make It Public.So here it it people -"Musings of a School Mum" because that is essentially what takes up a bulk of my day but with my daughter growing up I hope I will have a lot more to share with all of you.

Earlier this morning I shared a comment on volunteering in the school on the site iVillage. A lot of parents who do volunteer were unhappy that they seem to be doing all the work while others just sat back. Well here is my take on this. For those who do not bother to help when you can you miss a wonderful opportunity to see a part of  your child's life  that you would otherwise not get. For those who work and complain do as much as you can possibly with joy, nobody is forcing you- it is voluntary after all. I believe that all who volunteer get something from it after all whether it it friends, information, networks or just plain satisfaction of doing something good.

Last term I went to the school principal and asked him why we did not have a school newspaper. He agreed to start one provided I helped out which I accepted. So now we have one run by head of literacy assisted by me and written and published by the students. By the time my daughter moves up the school I hope it will be an independent entity run entirely by the students and I hope she will have the chance to write in it too. The lesson I learnt was that while ideas were great implementing them properly were harder and managing limited resources were harder still. Most importantly I hope I will be able to translate the lessons learnt into reality in this term with a better advice for the newspaper team.

Next week school reopens and there will be more musings hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment